Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Dishwasher detergent

I absolutely enjoy saving money!  I enjoy it even more when I buy things that people use on a regular basis and yet don't think "hmmm, could I make this at home and save money?"

Surprisingly, you don't need dishwasher super-sparkle elegance finishing touch after wash rinse in your dishwasher.  The reason?  The dish detergent that you use is too harsh for your dishwasher.  awesome, huh?  it is typically too hard on your dishes actually making your water harder, and can etch your glassware.  How much does that suck?

Well, I've found that with this recipe, it makes your water softer, getting your dishes cleaner with less soap.  SNAZZY.

How to make it:
1c. borax
1c. washing soda
1c. kosher salt (the coarser the salt the more chunks coming off, but you can use iodized if that's all you have)
4 pks. lemon kool-aid.  (I used the walmart version for .12c a packet.  Why do you use this?  the citric acid and the lemon scent- makes them awesome!)

mix all together and store in a container.  Yes, I typically triple or quadruple the batch (it takes exactly the same amount of effort, why not?!).

How much to use?  depends on your dishes. Typically a Tablespoon will take care of what you need, especially if you use the rinse aid I wrote about.  If you need to use extra, fill up both reserves, the time-release one (with the lid) and the other one that would give you the soap in the pre-wash.  I would not use more than 1/4 cup at a time.  1, it's just wasteful and 2, you could damage the machine or  your dishes and I'm not responsible for that. :)

enjoy and let me know if this works for you!

1 comment: