Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sewing: a skill to last you a lifetime.

You may have seen that post title and groaned.

Think about this:  you're in a consignment shop and you see this gorgeous hand-made gown for your toddler that you know would look absolutely adorable on her.  You have to have it!  You touch the fabric and feel the soft texture, the color is perfect, and it just feels so "right" in your hands.... until you get to the price tag.  $85 for a hand-made one-of-a-kind dress.

ouch.

With the invention of the internet and particularly sites like Youtube, how easy it is to learn some skills to make a dress like that?  Let me tell you- if you can drive, you can sew.  really.

What if it was something simpler than a dress- seriously, do you know how to sew a quilt?  What about something even simpler- what about a curtain or a pillow case?  What about darning a sock, or replacing a button?  These are skills that every homemaker should have.

How much money could you save if you did it yourself?  Back to the dress thing- I have 3 girls in my family, do you know how many clothes I go through a week?  Why not make some for church functions, and "nice" outings?  Basically things we "need" them to be nice looking for.  Here's a Christmas dress I made for one of the girls- I'll be making another one (possibly different style dress, same pattern though.) soon.  I'll post it, and maybe a video of myself making it!  (how awesome would that be?)

I finished this dress this morning:


































With the bow in the back instead of the front:



I LOVE Olabelhe patterns.  Dawn is a stay-at-home homeschooling mom like me who now teaches 4 separate grades!  (can you imagine?!)

I used the Colleen for the dress, and the Sabrina for the sleeves.  If you're interested, you can purchase her patterns by clicking on their names.  I fully support home-business moms and Dawn is definitely I'm going to be spending my money with again (I have quite a few patterns of hers that I'm going to purchase and make!
Thanks for stopping by, and I'll catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment